Blockstream Green is a multi-platform Bitcoin wallet, with versions available for iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, and Linux. This guide uses screenshots from the mobile app to help guide you through the process, but instructions should work with all versions of Blockstream Green.
Open Blockstream Green, make sure Bitcoin is selected from the network dropdown, and tap Create New Wallet.
Write down your 24-word mnemonic (seed phrase) with a pen and paper. The mnemonic functions as a backup for your Bitcoin wallet.
- Keep it somewhere safe: Don't lose it—if your device gets lost or stolen, or you forget your PIN, or your PIN gets reset, then you will need your mnemonic to regain access to your bitcoins.
- Keep it somewhere secret: Anyone with access to your mnemonic can steal your bitcoins, so also make sure it's kept somewhere safe. Enable two-factor authentication to mitigate this risk.
- Never send it over email or text to anyone: Blockstream Green support will never ask for this and anyone that does request it should be immediately reported to Blockstream Support.
- Never save it on an internet-connected device: For instance, saving the mnemonic on a mobile notepad leaves the mnemonic open to attack. Yes, that means no screenshots too!
- The mnemonic is your ultimate backup.
To ensure that you safely recorded your mnemonic, re-enter a selection of your mnemonic words as requested.
Choose a PIN for your wallet. This is a 6-digit number that secures the Bitcoin wallet on this device. Anyone that gains access to your device will be unable to spend your bitcoins without your PIN.
If you ever forget your PIN, you will need to restore your Bitcoin wallet using your mnemonic.
Step 5 (Optional)
Set up a two-factor authentication (2FA) method to add a second layer of security to your Bitcoin wallet. Once 2FA is enabled, you will need to approve each transaction you send by inputting a code provided to you by email, SMS, call, or an OTP app (e.g. Google Authenticator).
Learn more about Blockstream Green's two-factor security and how it is secured by multisig.
- Set up email 2FA: This will both secure your wallet and enable regular wallet backups sent to your inbox, necessary for wallet recovery.
- Don't use a throw-away email address: Without a secondary 2FA method, if you lose access to your email, you lose access to your bitcoins.
- Set up two different 2FA methods: If you lose access to one of your 2FA methods, you will still be able to access your bitcoins with the secondary method.
- If possible, ensure your 2FA will only be received on a separate device: 2FA is most secure when it is not received on the device where your Bitcoin wallet is installed.